The picture above shows the replacement and original parts.
If servicing had been done earlier it is probable that most of this work could have been avoided. It included the usual strip down, clean, examine, assemble, lubricate and test procedures and in addition:
Repair 1: The barrel had to be straightened, the lugs reformed and a new boss made and fitted to it.
Repair 2: I made a new wheel from brass plate. This involved making a tooth cutter as the teeth were not of the standard flat bottomed type but instead were rounded at the bottom to giver them more strength. They need this from as the wheel is only 1.6 mm thick. The wheel disc was set up in a dividing head and the teeth cut. I made annular slots to take the lugs on the barrel.
Repair 3: I ordered a replacement pinion. Bent pinion leaves can rarely be straightened as the metal is too hard. There are usually cracks running deep into the metal, and this was true in this case, it took little force to crack the leaf out of the pinion. The pinion is of a standard profile and it is more economical for me to order one from a specialist than to do the work myself.
Repair 4: Rivet the existing intermediate wheel to its pinion.